POSITION: Accounting/Human Resources Assistant
SUPERVISOR: Director of Finance
LOCATION: 29 Lowell St., Lewiston, ME 04240
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt, Full time
You are a detail-oriented, highly organized individual who thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. As the Dempsey Center’s Accounting/Human Resources Assistant, you will be responsible for supporting key Dempsey Center departments and staff, allowing us to further the Dempsey Center’s mission of making life better for people managing the impact of cancer.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Accounting/Human Resource Assistant will assist with, but not limited to the finance functions of accounts payable and human resources administrative functions.
Provides financial, administrative and clerical support by ensuring payments are completed and expenses are controlled by receiving payments, processing, verifying approval and proper documentation, and reconciling invoices.
Provides human resources support by carrying out the responsibilities in the areas of HR files and databases, recruiting and on-boarding new employees, benefits administration, and coordination of documentation related to employment.
ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Review all invoices for proper documentation and approval prior to payment
- Reconciling processed work by verifying entries and comparing system reports to balances
- Paying employees by verifying expense reports and preparing payment
- Paying vendors by scheduling payment and ensuring payment is received; generally responding to all vendor inquiries
- Reconcile credit card statement
- Continuing to improve the payment process
- Applying all applicable sales tax regulations, and IRS reporting requirements relative to reportable income
- Maintaining invoice files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with company policy and accepted accounting practices
- Making daily deposits
- Other accounting duties as assigned
HR ASSISTANT DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Sort and distribute incoming mail
- Review and process employee benefit vendor invoices
- Manage Outlook Career mailbox and provide responses to all applicants
- Schedule job interviews and assist in interview process
- Ensure background and reference checks are complete
- Prepare new employee files
- Oversee the completion of compensation and benefit documentation
- Coordinate on-boarding of new employees to the organization (setting up a designated log-in, workstation, email address, etc.
- Coordinate benefit enrollment process
- Maintain current HR files and databases
- Update and maintain employee benefits, employment status, and similar records
- Perform file audits to ensure that all required employee documentation is collected and maintained
- Maintains employee confidence and protects operations by keeping human resource information confidential
- Other HR duties as assigned
Experience in general accounting and/or human resource administration required, within a non-profit environment preferred. Strong preference to those with experience in Mineral Tree or QuickBooks. Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Associates degree in Accounting or Business-related field preferred.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
Valid Maine Driver’s License is required.
- Analytical skills necessary for applying established policies and procedures
- Ability to concentrate and focus attention to details in reviewing accounting documentation and recording accounting transaction
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills to interact well across the organization, both internally and externally
- Ability to work with diverse individuals and groups
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and perform a high volume of routine tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Technologically savvy and comfortable with accounting software packages
- General knowledge of various employment laws and practices
- Experience in administration of benefits and other HR programs
- Must be able to communicate clearly, both written and orally, as to communicate with employees
- Skills in database management and record keeping
- Able to exhibit a high level of confidentiality
- Must be able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Must be able to prioritize and plan work activities as to use time efficiently
- Must be dependable, able to follow instructions, respond to management direction, and must be able to improve performance through management feedback