Reports to: Executive Director
Full Time / 40 Hours
The Advancement Director is responsible for the strategic direction for development, marketing and public relations. The person in this position supervises, executes and evaluates all advancement activities and strategy for the organization including but not limited to: annual fund, major gifts, corporate and foundation giving and planned gifts, online giving, fundraising and other special events (including the Dempsey Challenge), researching new revenue sources, overseeing grant writing as well as marketing and public relations. The Advancement Director reports to the Executive Director and serves on the Advancement Committee of the Dempsey Centers Board of Directors.
- Develop, implement, evaluate and refine a comprehensive fundraising plan including annual, special events, major gifts, capital campaigns, grants, retail sales, corporate partnerships, and planned giving.
- Create and implement a plan to cultivate, solicit, and steward current and prospective donors to deepen relationships that lead to increased comprehensive giving including annual, major, and deferred gifts.
- Oversee a Capital Campaign for Dempsey Centers expansion.
- Manage the grant application and evaluation process.
- Working with communications staff, create a strategic communication and marketing plan and oversee its successful implementation.
- Oversee the organization’s outreach efforts, promoting the Dempsey Center’s mission to a wider audience through one-on-one contact and planned addresses to larger audiences.
- Oversee the creation of all donor communications & solicitation materials.
- Engage the Board of Directors in fundraising initiatives.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Development & Fundraising Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for keeping and maintaining all records of philanthropic support and assure continuous compliance with all legal and regulatory standards concerning these records and their privacy.
- Manage all development-related policies and procedures, and ensure appropriate staff are trained.
- Develop and oversee annual budget for development and communications initiatives.
- Work with staff to identify funding needs and to educate donors and prospective partners about these opportunities.
- Approve all corporate partnership and other development-related agreements.
- Negotiate and approve all fundraising-related vendor agreements.
- Works with Patrick Dempsey and his business team to secure fundraising opportunities related to Patrick’s involvement.
Supervises the following positions: Events Manager, Fundraising Coordinator, Development Manager, Advancement Specialist & Communications Manager
Minimum of seven years of experience in non-profit fundraising and donor solicitation with progressive responsibility required. Experience with national corporations, capital campaigns and major gift prospects preferred. Experience working collaboratively with and managing a team of employees to complete tasks in a timely manner and in a fast-paced environment required. Experience with celebrity fundraising strategies and planned giving a plus.
Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree preferred.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
Valid Maine Driver’s License is required.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Outstanding relationship-building and stewardship skills a must.
- Excellent financial and budgetary skills, including proficiency with spreadsheet software.
- Ability to manage and complete complex projects with multi-month timelines and competing priorities.
- Ability to assess organizational, team and individual needs and to assist in identifying and recommending appropriate action plans to meet those needs.
- Demonstrates outstanding listening, consultation, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Possesses the skills to engage and motivate staff, volunteer staff, and board members.