Reports to: Development Director
FLSA Status: Full time, Exempt
Hours: 40 hours/week
Location: South Portland and Lewiston, ME
The Marketing & Communications Manager facilitates the marketing and communications functions for the Dempsey Center, including the Dempsey Challenge event and Clayton’s House, and is the brand champion for the organization. This position is responsible for all the visual aspects of the Dempsey Center’s brand, marketing and communications. This mission-motivated professional works closely with other Center employees and contractors, and directly with the Development Director to conceive and implement a strategic marketing & communications plan for all areas of the Dempsey Center. This professional must be a strong collaborator, well-versed in marketing and design trends, possess professional judgement and discretion, and must be comfortable working across all mediums to enhance the Dempsey Centers’ image and reach to ultimately increase the number of clients utilizing our services and augment engagement with the organization through giving, volunteerism and general brand awareness.
Responsibilities and Expected Outcomes
• Working with Development Director, develops and executes marketing, advertising and public relations plans for the Center and Challenge, including owned, paid and in-kind media. Plan includes:
- Promotional activities related to large scale events (Dempsey Challenge) and smaller scale programs (Survivor’s Day)
- Comprehensive communications strategy for donor engagement (in collaboration with Development Director)
- Comprehensive communications strategy (Program Director) to engage healthcare professionals, cancer patients and their families, and the greater community
- Strategic media buying plan
- Marketing budgets for the Dempsey Center and Dempsey Challenge
- Ensures Center website content is accurate and compelling. In collaboration with IT Coordinator, manages all aspects of website updating and developing, including potential website redesign.
- Responds to, manages, and fulfills staff marketing and communications requests submitted via the Marketing & Communications request form
- Assists with design of development materials, collateral, merchandise, signage, and marketing pieces for the Dempsey Center and Challenge in collaboration with Development Director and contractor.
- Manages composition of and delivery of all e-communications
- Writes and distributes all press releases
- Manages all social media accounts and responsible for all social media monitoring
- Works with the development team to fulfill sponsorship contracts as they relate to marketing/branding
- Monitors and responds to the [email protected] Center email address
- Responsible for all high-level, brand-related photography and videography needs
- Performs other duties, as requested
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or project management with four or more years of professional experience in these areas at a for-profit or not-for-profit, or an equivalent amount of education and experience.
- Highly effective communication skills (speaking, reading, writing, active listening, presentation, etc.).
- Effective analytical skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to follow-through to meet organizational needs.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain focus on multiple projects and appropriately prioritize activities.
- Ability to meet job performance measures with minimal oversight and guidance.
- Ability to express and maintain an open and confident mindset as well as a positive attitude.
Required for all employees:
- Background check
- Annual flu immunization
Licensure, Registration, and Certification
- Valid Maine driver’s license is required.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents. Ability to effectively communicate with employees, clients, Board members, donors and potential donors, volunteers, consultants, advisors, and members of the community.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide into all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret graphs.
- Requires intermediate or better proficiency with graphic design software (Adobe Creative Suite ex. Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.), social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter), website hosting platforms (WordPress), and Microsoft Office 365 including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook, or equivalent. Experience with video editing software a plus.
Responsibility for Confidential Matters
Works regularly with highly confidential information. Must comply with confidentiality policies and procedures. Utmost discretion and integrity are required for the job.
Responsibility for Getting Along with Others
Regularly represents the Dempsey Center and interprets its policies and practices to all types of people within and outside the organization. Assumes responsibility for harmonious relationships. Treats everyone with dignity and respect.
- No supervision of staff is required for position.
- Receives very general guidance based on broad objectives for the job. Work is carried out in collaboration with others while maintaining alignment with organizational directives and guidelines. Independent judgment is used to achieve assigned objectives.
The job requires some motor ability such as the handling or operation of a telephone, personal computer, copy machine, etc.; such operations are not a primary component of the job, nor is speed a basic requirement.
Employee may work remotely, in the Lewiston Center, and/or in South Portland Center. Employee will also conduct outside meetings and calls on a regular basis. Work may be conducted inside/outside, in varying types of weather, in shared space.