POSITION: Clayton’s House Neighbor
DEPARTMENT: Clayton’s House
REPORTS TO: House Manager
LOCATION: Portland, ME
Schedule & Hours Commitment:
Normally the shifts will be three hours long. Monday- Thursday, shifts will be between 8:30AM and 5:30PM. Shifts on Friday will be between 8:30AM and 2:30PM.
This position will primarily serve to provide a calming, supportive, neighborly presence in the house – offering a listening ear and compassionate/empathic companionship to guests and caregivers. This person will also provide orientation to the guests of Clayton’s House when needed. They will help orient to the home, bedrooms, policies, procedures and rules of the home.
- Volunteer will make themselves accessible in common areas (living room, kitchen, sitting room)
- Volunteer will introduce themselves to everyone present in common areas at the start of their shift, notifying the guests of their role and assessing the general well-being of everyone
- If appropriate, volunteer will engage in conversations with guests, offering an attentive ear and calming presence. Volunteers will often find guests like to share about their families, hobbies, and life experiences.
- Volunteer will help orient new arrivals when needed, reviewing rules, procedures and emergency information
- Volunteer will ensure guests have what they need for a safe and comfortable stay
Required Skills and Experience:
- High emotional intelligence
- Ability to respectfully establish and enforce personal and professional boundaries
- Friendly, personable disposition
- Attention to detail
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to all guests
Required Education or Certifications:
- Ability to walk up and down stairs.
- Must attend Dempsey Center Culture Training
- Maintains professional behavior, dress and appearance at all times while volunteering
- Must use discretion and protect the confidentiality of all Dempsey Center clients.; HIPAA-specific training will be provided.
- If the work includes direct client interaction, must complete background check and have/or opt out of flu shot.