POSITION: Community Outreach Volunteer
DEPARTMENT: Programming, Outreach
SUPERVISOR: Outreach Coordinator
LOCATION: Lewiston or South Portland, ME
Schedule & Hours Commitment:
- 3-4 hours at events, as needed, hours are variable
- Ability to be flexible with hours is a must as hours are dependent on the times of community events (can include morning, afternoon or evening times)
- Volunteer will know time commitments well in advance
The person in this position will work closely with the Outreach Coordinator, supporting the coordinator in attending and representing the Dempsey Center at community events. The outreach volunteer shares information about the Dempsey Center andhow the services offered can make life better for people managing the impact of cancer.
This volunteer position helps raise awareness about the Dempsey Center and how the Center’s services can support the community.
- Greets people who approach the table, answering their questions, or directing them to where more information can be found.
- Engages with individuals at events to share information about the Dempsey Center
- Encourages individuals who are interested to pick up materials, sign up for e-newsletter, engage with activity if provided
- Connects with event organizers, other vendors as appropriate
- Reports back to staff about the event.
- Assists with table set-up and clean-up
Required Skills and Experience:
- Passion for Dempsey Center’s mission and knowledge of Dempsey Center programs and services
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Outgoing and engaging personality
- Comfortable working independently
Required Education or Certifications:
- Must hold valid Maine driver’s license and auto insurance and be willing to use personal vehicle for volunteer-related tasks
- Ability to set up tables
- Must be able to carry up to 10lbs of materials
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time
- Must be at least 18 years old with GED or HS diploma
- Must have a reliable vehicle
- Must attend Dempsey Center Culture Training
- Maintains professional behavior, dress and appearance at all times while volunteering
- Must use discretion and protect the confidentiality of all Dempsey Center clients.; HIPAA-specific training will be provided.
- If the work includes direct client interaction, must complete background check and have/or opt out of flu shot.