POSITION: Director of Development and Community Relations
DEPARTMENT: Senior Leadership
SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
LOCATION: 29 Lowell St., Lewiston, ME 04240
JOB TITLES SUPERVISED: Events Manager, Fundraising Coordinator, Manager of Strategic Partnerships, Brand Manager, Communications Manager
FLSA STATUS: Exempt, Full time
You are a collaborative, highly-skilled leader who seeks the opportunity to bring your unique vision to a dynamic, growing nonprofit organization. As the Dempsey Center’s director of development and community relations, you will be responsible for creating and executing strategic development and public relations plans to further the Dempsey Center’s mission of improving the quality of life of people impacted by cancer.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director of Development and Community Relations reports directly to the Executive Director and is responsible for the planning, direction and coordination of all fundraising activities, grant writing, planned giving and capital campaigns, including creating and executing a comprehensive development plan, incorporating individual donor cultivation, special events (including the Dempsey Challenge), an annual fund campaign, and corporate and foundation giving. Job responsibilities also include oversight of marketing, corporate communications and media relations. This position works closely with the Development & Fundraising Committee of the Board of Directors and has direct management accountable for the Development and Communications staff.
DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Develop, implement, evaluate and refine a comprehensive fundraising plan including annual, special events, major gifts, capital campaigns, grants, retail sales, corporate partnerships, and planned giving.
- Create and implement a plan to cultivate, solicit, and steward current and prospective donors to deepen relationships that lead to increased comprehensive giving including annual, major, and deferred gifts.
- Oversee a Capital Campaign for Dempsey Centers expansion.
- Manage grant applications.
- Working with communications staff, create a strategic communication and marketing plan and oversee its successful implementation.
- Oversee the organization’s outreach efforts, promoting the Dempsey Center’s mission to a wider audience through one-on-one contact and planned addresses to larger audiences.
- Oversee the creation of all donor communications & solicitation materials.
- Engage the Board of Directors in fundraising initiatives.
- Act as staff liaison to the Development & Fundraising Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Maintaining all records of philanthropic support and assure continuous compliance with all legal and regulatory standards concerning these records and their privacy.
- Manage all development-related policies and procedures, and ensure appropriate staff are trained.
- Develop and oversee annual budget for development and communications initiatives.
- Work with staff to identify funding needs and to educate donors and prospective partners about these opportunities.
- Approve all corporate partnership and other development-related agreements.
- Negotiate and approve all fundraising-related vendor agreements.
- Work with Patrick Dempsey and his business team to secure fundraising opportunities related to Patrick’s involvement.
Minimum of seven years of experience in non-profit fundraising and donor solicitation with progressive responsibility required. Experience with national corporations, capital campaigns, major gift prospects and related marketing and public relations strategies. Experience working collaboratively with and managing a team of employees to complete tasks in a timely manner and in a fast-paced environment required. Experience with celebrity fundraising strategies and planned giving a plus.
Bachelor’s Degree in business, marketing, public relations, communications or a related fieldrequired; advanced degree preferred.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
Valid Maine Driver’s License is required.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Outstanding relationship-building and stewardship skills a must.
- Excellent financial and budgetary skills, including proficiency with spreadsheet software.
- Knowledge of methods to track, analyze and report data, especially development software, e.g., Blackbaud.
- Ability to manage and complete complex projects with multi-month timelines and competing priorities.
- Ability to assess organizational, team and individual needs and to assist in identifying and recommending appropriate action plans to meet those needs.
- Demonstrates outstanding listening, consultation, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Possesses the skills to engage and motivate staff, volunteer staff, and board members.