POSITION: Director of Finance
DEPARTMENT: Senior Leadership
SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
JOB TITLES SUPERVISED: N/A
FLSA STATUS: Exempt, Full Time/36-40 hours
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Finance is responsible for oversight of finance, business planning and budgeting, facilities, and IT. As part of the senior leadership team, the Director of Finance will be involved in strategic planning and decision making as well as planning for the Dempsey Center’s expansion to a second location. This position works closely with the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors.
Duties include and are not limited to:
- Serve as a business partner to the Executive Director on the organization’s financial, budgeting, and IT processes, with an eye to continuously developing and improving systems.
- Oversees the DC’s 403(b) plan administrator, including the investment policy as well as the plan administrator for the endowment, reporting to the ED and BOD, respectively.
- Oversee budgeting, financial forecasting, and cash flow for administration, existing programs and services, and expansion. This includes overseeing and leading the annual budgeting and planning process with the Executive Director and other directors; administering and reviewing all financial plans and budgets; monitoring progress and changes; and keeping the senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Review and approve preparation and finalization of monthly and annual financial reporting materials and metrics for the Board of Directors.
- Work with the designated bookkeeper and accounting firm as needed.
- Prepare financial reporting materials for all donor segments and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Works with the grant manager/grant writer to provide financial reports as appropriate.
- At the direction of the finance committee, coordinate all audit activities when necessary, including leading the audit process, liaising with external auditors and the finance committee of the Board of Directors.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Create, update and implement all necessary business and accounting policies and standard work processes.
- Effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to the board of directors.
- Oversee facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales. This includes managing the organization’s physical infrastructure, physical plant and system maintenance (phone system, security, cleaning, supplies, etc.) with assistance from the front office coordinators at each location.
- Oversees purchasing and insurance.
- Oversees all contract negotiations.
- Complies with required financial filings by local, state and federal agencies.
- Spearheads the bid process for purchasing and maintains vendor and bid records.
- Responsible for oversight and implementation of the Center’s IT plan, meeting IT needs (hardware and software) as the organization grows.
- Represent organization at various events and give presentations as appropriate.
Minimum of seven years of professional experience of broad financial and operations management experience with preference given to candidates with non-profit experience. Experience of having final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for a significant division, program area, or overall organization.
Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Management, or Finance. MBA/CPA strongly preferred.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
Valid Maine Driver’s License is required.
- Legal, auditing, compliance, budgeting, and resource development skills required.
- Demonstrates resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to and to effectively collaborate with programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- Technologically savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Outstanding relationship-building and stewardship skills a must.
- Strong prioritization, keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS (in a usual workday)
Sit Total hours/day 5.0 Hours at one time 2.0
Stand Total hours/day 2.0 Hours at one time 1.0
Walk Total hours/day 1.0 Hours at one time 1.0
Approximate percentages of time tasks are performed in carrying out the essential functions of this position:
0% of time bending/stooping
0% of time squatting
0% of time crawling
0% of time climbing
0% of time reaching above shoulder level
0% of time kneeling
50% of time hand/fingers used for repetitive motion
50% of time feet used for repetitive movements
50% of time hands/fingers used for fine manipulation
30% of time hands/fingers used for simple grasping
10% of time hands/fingers used for pushing/pulling
30% of time hands/fingers used for firm grasping
0% of time head/neck in rotational movements
10% of time head/neck in static position
0% of time head/neck in extension movements
0% of time head/neck in flexing movements
Pounds employee is required to carry 30 lbs.
Usual distance carried 100 ft.
Pounds employee is required to lift 30 lbs.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, the company reserves the right to revise the functions and duties of the job or to require that additional or different tasks be performed when circumstances dictate (such as emergencies, changes in personnel, work load, rush jobs, or technological developments).