POSITION: Garden Program Liaison
DEPARTMENT: Programming, Nutrition
REPORTS TO: Nutrition Program Coordinator
LOCATION: Lewiston Dempsey Center & Community Garden in Auburn, ME
Schedule & Hours Commitment:
Approximately 3 hours/week (Summer and Fall)
Divided between Monday PM and Tuesday AM, and an occasional Thursday AM.
The person in this position will work closely with the Nutrition Program Coordinator and the garden staff to ensure that produce from the Dempsey Garden is utilized efficiently in the center’s nutrition programs. The position requires travel between the Dempsey Center Community Garden, located in Auburn, and the Dempsey Center in Lewiston. The distance between the two locations is approximately 6 miles and takes about 15 minutes to drive.
This position supports the center’s nutrition and cooking programs as well as our comfort soup program.
• Assist with the harvest of produce at the garden.
• Transport produce from the garden to the center 1 – 2 times per week. Typically, this is just once per week.
• Manage storage of produce in the Dempsey Centers Demonstration Kitchen refrigerator for classes and arrange extra produce in reception area for clients to take home.
• Cleaning produce in the Dempsey Kitchen may be necessary at times.
Required Skills and Experience:
• Email access
• Garden experience and knowledge of how to harvest various types of produce
• Knowledge of how to handle fresh produce to maintain freshness
Required Education or Certifications:
• Must hold valid Maine driver’s license and auto insurance and be willing to use personal vehicle for volunteer-related tasks
Must be able to walk on uneven turf, bend and get down on knees as needed to harvest, carry up to 10 lbs of produce in bags from parking lot to Dempsey Center. An elevator is available and a cart from the center in available.
• Maintains professional behavior at all times while volunteering in center or at garden.
• Must use discretion and protect the confidentiality of all Dempsey Center clients.; HIPAA-specific training will be provided.