POSITION: Oncology Massage Therapist
DEPARTMENT: Complementary Therapies
SUPERVISOR: Complementary Therapies Manager
JOB TITLES SUPERVISED: None
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
HOURS: 20 hours/week
LOCATION: South Portland
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Oncology Massage Therapist is a Licensed Massage Therapist who provides therapeutic massage to Dempsey Center clients for the promotion of general wellness and the reduction of stress and pain. Massage sessions take place at the Dempsey Center, and may also include hospital in-patient rooms, out-patient Medical Oncology infusion centers, and Hospice House settings. The therapist takes a medical history to rule out contraindications to massage and develops a plan of care with each client for each visit and for long-term goals. Position requirements include; licensure in massage therapy from the State of Maine, completion of a Society for Oncology Massage-approved foundational oncology massage training program, and current CPR or BCLS Certification. The scope of practice for therapeutic massage at the Dempsey Center includes the manipulation of soft tissues and the use of supplementary aids according to the established practices of the massage therapy profession and within the limits of State of Maine licensure for massage therapy. The Oncology Massage Therapist collaborates as a member of the Dempsey Center team for the provision of comprehensive client care. The massage therapist participates in operational aspects of the department, maintains performance improvement activities within the department and participates in CQI activities.
Duties will include and not be limited to:
- Develops appropriate treatment goal/plan based on the client’s goals, a review of the client’s health history, information gathered from the client’s health care team (if provided), and best practice in Oncology Massage Therapy.
- Reviews massage eligibility approvals to ensure policy compliance and reviews all new client medical information for contraindications to treatment prior to any client receiving massage.
- Updates treatment plan/goals based on the client’s response to intervention and reassessments per the policies. Demonstrates timely adjustments based on changes in client status and/or needs.
- Demonstrates individualized appropriate treatment planning including therapy application and treatment intervention including but not limited to reduction of stress and pain, decreasing anxiety and depression, decreasing fatigue, decreasing nausea, improving muscle tone and circulation, and improving overall feeling of well-being.
- Demonstrates effective listening skills, empathy and an ability to support the physical, spiritual and emotional needs of individuals living with or impacted by cancer while recognizing professional boundaries and making appropriate referrals as needed.
- Discusses and advises medical staff, clients and client families, support staff and affiliating students regarding indications/contraindications for treatment, offers alternative modes of treatment and advises in the proper utilization of the service as supported by current massage therapy literature/research.
- Consults with oncology medicine providers, physical therapists and other healthcare professionals as appropriate to collaborate on providing Massage Therapy services to oncology clients and promotes the Dempsey Center Complementary Therapy Services as part of the continuum of patient care.
- Delivers treatment in compliance with departmental policies, protocols, and per the NCBTMB and Society for Oncology Massage code of Ethics and Standards of Practice.
- Adheres to departmental infection control and safety policies.
- Demonstrates skills in commonly used massage therapy techniques including; effleurage, petrissage, vibration, percussion, passive and active stretching.
- Demonstrates the ability to modify the massage techniques and components (i.e. speed, pressure, and duration) based on accurate interpretation of client’s response to treatment.
- Interacts professionally with client/family and assures the safety of the client at all times.
- Treats clients and their families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic and religious/spiritual needs of clients and their families.
- Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly. Maintains department cleanliness and safety.
- Communicates appropriately and clearly to physicians and all members of the client’s health care team.
- Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
- Maintains a good working relationship both within the department and with other departments.
- Consults other disciplines as appropriate to collaborate in client care and performance improvement activities.
- Timely and concise identification and communication of client care needs beyond our system’s care continuum.
- Meets department documentation standards and policies in a timely fashion and handwriting is legible.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of Outlook e-mail and document storage.
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time.
- Wears identification while on duty, uses time care system correctly.
- Maintains currency for the practice of Oncology Massage Therapy through current literature review, educational seminars, or preparation and delivery of staff in-servicing.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
- Meets productivity standards and keeps on schedule with client treatments.
- Accepts assignments of special activities and other non-massage activities as assigned and meets agreed upon outcomes.
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the Dempsey Centers as well as exemplifies the customer service standards of the organization.
- Confidentiality:Maintains confidentiality of information at all times and upholds policies and procedures related to confidentiality of client health information.
- Safety:Demonstrates an understanding of fire and electrical safety, infection control, body mechanics, and related areas, as appropriate to position.
- Attends mandatory in-services on safety, infection control, and body mechanics.
- Follows all employee health procedures, incident reporting, and infection control requirements at all times, as appropriate to the position.
- Uses proper body mechanics at all times as required by the physical demands of the position.
- Maintains a safe work environment and performs duties of the position in a manner consistent with ensuring the safety of self and others.
- Identifies safety needs in areas outside own work environment, recommending corrective action as appropriate.
- Expense Control: Performs job duties in a manner that maximizes expense control.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Current State Massage Therapy Licensure.
- Current CPR or BCLS certification.
- Documentation of Completed, Society for Oncology Massage-Approved Foundational Training in Oncology Massage Therapy.
- Ability to read and communicate effectively in English.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of Outlook e-mail and document storage, Excel spreadsheet, PowerPoint, and Office365.
- Demonstrates competence in data collection for program evaluation.
- Customer Service: Interacts with all individuals in a consistent manner, providing attention, support, and assistance to foster an environment of exceptional personal service.
- Conducts all work activities with respect for coworkers, including the maintenance of a pleasant, positive and professional environment, fostering an atmosphere of team work at all times.