LOCATION: Simard Payne Park, Lewiston
DEPARTMENT: Dempsey Challenge
SCHEDULE: 3-4 Meetings throughout summer 2019, full days in the park September 27-29
The Dempsey Challenge is looking for 2 volunteers who are passionate about recycling and compositing to help oversee our Green Team efforts for the Challenge, September 28 & 29th, 2019 in Lewiston, Maine. These Co-Captains will work together to recruit and manage a team of roughly 30 volunteers throughout event weekend, and oversee all logistics for management of trash, recycling and compositing for the Festival in the Park.
-Strong leader with ability to problem solve (especially under pressure in a fast-paced environment), work collaboratively with a team, and communicate well with others.
– Ability to manage volunteers with various backgrounds and abilities, delegate with clear instruction, and motivate and encourage others.
– Must be able to do some lifting and be on feet for extended periods of time. The event is outdoor and takes place in all weather conditions.
– 3-4 in-person or conference call meetings prior to event weekend (May-early September) to discuss logistics and planning
– Must be at Simard Payne Park for the Dempsey Challenge on Friday, Saturday and Sunday September 27-29.
– Must also be able to communicate via email throughout summer.
This position will be part of our Local Organizing Committee, a group of 40+ skilled volunteer leaders who volunteer year-round to plan and manage various aspects of the event. The LOC meets monthly at the Dempsey Center throughout the year; attendance is not mandatory but volunteers are encouraged to attend at least 3 meetings per year to keep apprised of overall event updates.
Event staff will provide staff support around logistics and coordination, and all necessary materials to get the job done. We have a great team that works hard but also likes to have fun and laugh. You’ll be provided with a committee t-shirt, all meals throughout event weekend, and the reward of knowing you’ve been part of an incredibly meaningful and emotional event!
TO APPLY: Email to [email protected] Please include a brief blurb as to why you are interested and what skills you have that could lend itself to this position. A resume is helpful but not required.