POSITION: Volunteer Support Group Facilitator
DEPARTMENT: Psychosocial Services
REPORTS TO: Psychosocial Services Manager
LOCATION: Lewiston, Maine OR South Portland, Maine
Purpose of Position: Along with a licensed professional counselor, the Volunteer Support Group Facilitator is responsible for facilitation of support groups for people affected by cancer at the Dempsey Center. Group Facilitators help members connect with one another as they discover ways to reduce isolation, regain a sense of control, learn new skills, and find hope. Facilitators are responsible for accurately representing the Dempsey Center’s mission and philosophy to the group members and to the general public.
Commitment: At least 1 year and up to three-year commitment to assigned support group.
- Length of commitment: at least 1 year
- Hours required monthly (after placement with a group):
- For groups that meet bi-monthly – 3-5 hours/month
- For groups that meet monthly—4-6 hours/month
- 8 hours of Facilitator Training (before placement)
- 1½ hours, bi-monthly or monthly to facilitate the support group meeting
- 15 minutes to ½ hour after each group to prepare for and process/debrief support group work
- Facilitator Meetings (2 meetings per year required)
Regular Duties Include:
- Lead/guide the support group process
- Arrive at support group 5-10 minutes early to greet arriving members. Start and end group meetings on time.
- Provide adequate notice to Support Group Co-Facilitator (DC Counselor) if unable to attend a meeting due to illness or planned time away, so that a replacement facilitator can be arranged
- Inform group of CARE guidelines, and fostering adherence
- Debrief after support group
- Foster a caring atmosphere
- Provide structure within which the group process will occur
- Create safety by keeping boundaries, confidentiality, and structure
- Intervene when necessary
- Assist the Center in spreading the word about its programs and volunteer opportunities
- Participate in volunteer orientation and ongoing training and evaluation
- Successfully complete facilitator training
- Excellent listening and conversation skills
- Sensitivity to the emotional highs and lows that can accompany the cancer experience
- Ability to assess distress in group and respond appropriately
- Self-awareness of one’s own issues and an attitude of responsibility for one’s life (choices, feelings, relationships)
- High respect for diverse lifestyles, values, beliefs, and ways of moving through the world
- Attitude of acceptance toward all feelings
- Exceptional listening skills
- Empathic and caring, open minded and dependable
- A healthy sense of humor
- Must attend position specific training
- Must attend Dempsey Experience Training
- Maintains professional behavior, dress, and appearance at all times while volunteering
- Must use discretion and protect the confidentiality of all Dempsey Center clients.; HIPAA-specific training will be provided.
Required for All Volunteers:
- Background check
- Annual Influenza Immunization or Declination Notice
- COVID-19 vaccination + Bivalent Booster
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the Dempsey Center
The Dempsey Center promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. The Dempsey Center encourages applications from qualified candidates of every age, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, and veteran status.
At the Dempsey Center, we celebrate diversity, advance equity, and create a culture of respect and belonging built on safety, human dignity, and bravery.