Reports to: Director of Operations & Organizational Development
Job Type: Full Time / 40 Hours
Location: South Portland
The Dempsey Center is a small, growing non-profit organization, we are now hiring for an Volunteer Coordinator. The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for recruiting, on-boarding and training Center volunteers. Working with the Director of Operations and Organizational Development, the Volunteer Coordinator will support the volunteer program work of integrating the Volunteer Service Enterprise initiative into the Center’s overall organizational development strategy. This position also supervises several of the centers larger volunteer teams.
Hours are generally Monday through Friday, and occasional Saturdays and evenings. Must be available for special events and training.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES.
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, communication or related field is preferred. High school diploma or GED is required.
- Prior experience as volunteer coordinator for public or nonprofit organization. Prior experience creating and implementing volunteer programs and training.
- Knowledge of management principles and evaluation techniques related to programs that involve a cadre of volunteers
- Skills Proficient in basic computer applications, such as word processing, spreadsheets, and internet usage
- Record keeping skills
- Organization and planning skills
- Demonstrated capability to conduct one’s self in a calm and professional demeanor when dealing with the public and/or with difficult situations
- Demonstrated capability to effectively communicate orally and in writing
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of staff and volunteers
- Willingness to adjust hours to accommodate the needs of the job
- Ability to effectively manage a wide array of tasks, projects, and responsibilities
- Ability to work productively in an unstructured environment with frequent interruptions