Position Title: Clayton’s House Maintenance Volunteer
Reports to: Clayton’s House Hospitality House Manager
Position Location: Clayton’s House, Portland, Maine
Schedule and Hours: A minimum of 4 hours a shift – monthly, with flexibility for multi-day projects. Most shifts would be Mondays am or pm.
Position Summary : The Clayton’s House Maintenance Volunteer provides general and routine maintenance care of Clayton’s House. The volunteer in this position works directly with the Hospitality House Manager to determine and prioritize maintenance needs and projects. The Clayton’s House Maintenance Volunteer is responsible for the completion of any light maintenance work needed. Basic electrical and plumbing skills preferred. Professional electrical and plumbing experience is not required. Any maintenance that requires that level of knowledge would not be asked of the volunteer in this position. Tools will be supplied. Possession of a moving or lifting strap is not required but is encouraged.
Key aspects of the role include:
- Install and remove AC units
- Assemble and move furniture
- Paint and patch walls
- Power wash ramp and deck
- Install light fixtures and sconces (no electrical work required)
- Fix minor leaks
- Hang pictures or other items
- Exterior building maintenance such as handrail repairs, paint and seal handrails and steps
- Other needs as identified by Dempsey Center Staff
- General household maintenance knowledge and experience
- Ability to troubleshoot household issues/repairs using internet resources
- Knowledge and use of ergonomically correct lifting practices
- Ability to work independently
- Demonstrates professionalism and appropriate boundaries with all Dempsey Center guests and staff
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates Dempsey Center core values and displays a passion for the Center’s mission to make life better for people impacted by cancer
- Occasional lifting up to 45 lbs.
- Frequent bending, twisting and reaching
- Constant standing and walking for duration of shift
- Frequent use of stairs
- Occasional climbing of ladder
- Must Dempsey Center Experience Training.
- Maintains professional behavior, dress and appearance at all times while volunteering.
- Must use discretion and protect the confidentiality of all Dempsey Center clients.; HIPAA-specific training will be provided.
- Ability to effectively communicate with employees, Board members, donors, prospects, volunteers, consultants, advisors, and members of the community.
Required for all Volunteers:
- Annual flu immunization or declination notice
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the Dempsey Center
At the Dempsey Center, we celebrate diversity, advance equity, and create a culture of respect and belonging built on safety, human dignity, and bravery.
The Dempsey Center promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. The Dempsey Center encourages applications from qualified candidates of every age, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, and veteran status.