Healing Garden Volunteer
POSITION: Healing Garden (Indoor Plants) Volunteer
DEPARTMENT: Client Care/Facilities
REPORTS TO: Comfort + Wellbeing Manager
LOCATION: Lewiston, Maine
Purpose of Position: Healing Garden Volunteers work as a group and meet at the Lewiston ornamental garden weekly to ensure the proper horticultural care, watering schedule, overall health, and look of our many plants, including both in the dedicated healing garden space and other plants throughout the Dempsey Center’s physical space.
Position Summary: The volunteers for this indoor garden primarily water and provide ‘house plant’ maintenance weekly to approximately 50+ plants, which includes several large monstera and bird of paradise gems!
Schedule & Hours Commitment: 1.5 – 3 hours per week year-round
- A commitment of tending to the pruning, fertilizing, watering, repotting, aphid (or other pest controls) of all plants.
- Participating in a full plant project day (biannually) with the team.
Required Skills and Experience:
- A background in horticulture maintenance and identification.
- Knowledge of individual species and specific care for each in terms of light levels and feed needs.
- Lead: Leadership and training skills necessary.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to stand and walk for the duration of weekly shift, with the ability to lift full watering cans, plant containers, and move small furniture pieces. Most plant containers are elevated.
- Must attend position specific training
- Must attend Dempsey Experience Training
- Maintains professional behavior, dress, and appearance at all times while volunteering
- Must use discretion and protect the confidentiality of all Dempsey Center clients.; HIPAA-specific training will be provided.
Required for All Volunteers:
- Background check
- Annual Influenza Immunization or Declination Notice
- COVID-19 vaccination + Bivalent Booster
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the Dempsey Center
The Dempsey Center promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. The Dempsey Center encourages applications from qualified candidates of every age, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, and veteran status.
At the Dempsey Center, we celebrate diversity, advance equity, and create a culture of respect and belonging built on safety, human dignity, and bravery.