Reports to: Reiki Lead, Complementary Therapies Manager
Area: Complementary Therapies
Schedule and Hours Required: Schedule varies; approximately 3 – 4 hours/per week
Position Location: Lewiston, Maine
The Reiki Volunteer offers Reiki to clients of the Dempsey Center, creating a safe and trusting environment, for the purpose of relaxation, anxiety and stress reduction, and to promote better sleep. During a session, the volunteer’s hands are lightly placed on or above the client’s fully clothed body. Reiki may be used safely before, during or after any medical intervention, and is intended as a complementary rather than alternative practice.
- Wash hands with hand sanitizer, or soap and water, before beginning each session.
- Prepare the room and massage table for service – clean sheet on table, adjust table to correct height, soften lighting and cue music if any.
- Greet client, introduce yourself, inquire about the client’s well-being, ask if necessary to use bathroom.
- Have client sign consent form, if it is their first session, explain Reiki and it’s benefits, and where to expect hand placement. Ask client if they have any questions, or concerns before beginning.
- Provide Reiki session for 35 – 45 minutes (according to Dempsey Center Reiki Guidelines for Volunteers)
- At the end of each session, offer client a cup of water.
- Thank client for coming, encourage client to sign up for another Reiki session.
- Let client know where there are Client Survey cards if they would like to complete one.
- Change any linen that has come in contact with client during session.
- Complete Reiki Documentation form after each session, being sure to sign and date each entry. File Documentation Forms in Reiki, locked file cabinet at end of shift.
- Move used linens to yellow laundry bag stored in Staff Locker Room.
- At the end of each shift, wipe down massage table with sterile wipes, wearing blue plastic gloves and leave room in same order as when arrived.
- Log volunteer hours.
- Attend bi-monthly Reiki Volunteer meetings.
Skills and Experience:
• Calm, confident, friendly demeanor creating a safe environment for the client.
• Demonstrates empathy and compassion to those impacted by cancer.
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to listen attentively without judgment.
• Refrains from offering professional or personal advice outside of the Reiki Volunteer scope of work.
• Offers only Reiki to clients, as defined by the Dempsey Center, during each session.
• Comfortable in a patient care oriented environment.
• Understands and strictly adheres to guidelines of confidentiality and client privacy, both inside and outside the Dempsey Center.
• Understands and practices all aspects of client safety.
Education or Certifications:
• Must hold certifications at a Master’s Level.
• Must practice Reiki on a regular basis.
• Must attend Dempsey Center Culture Training
• Maintains professional behavior, dress and appearance at all times while volunteering
• Must use discretion and take confidentiality seriously; HIPAA-specific training will be provided.