– Dr. Leo Buscaglia
The Patrick Dempsey Center for Cancer Hope & Healing provides free support, education and integrative medicine services to anyone impacted by cancer. Since our doors opened in 2008, the Dempsey Center’s contacts have increased consistently, demonstrating the need for our services. In September 2012, the Center moved to a new location at 29 Lowell Street, Lewiston, to better accommodate the needs of those we serve in a more comfortable, private space.
The Dempsey Center’s warm, inviting environment includes a cancer resource center and lending library, integrative medicine rooms, Healing Garden, private consult rooms, health and fitness room, wig room, demo kitchen, and dedicated space for cancer support group meetings and educational programs.
The Dempsey Center Offers:
- Integrative medicine: massage, Reiki, yoga, Tai Chi
- Mindfulness Meditation ongoing series
- Toll-free cancer assistance line: 1-877-336-7287
- Dedicated oncology social workers
- Financial resource counseling
- Nutrition counseling
- Nutrition for Life series
- Community cancer-related health outreach and education
- Professionally facilitated cancer and caregiver support groups
- Educational workshops on a variety of cancer and wellness-related topics
- Patient Navigation
- The Healing Tree Children’s Program which offers support, education and wellness services for children, adolescents and families impacted by cancer.
- Space to Breathe adolescent outdoor adventure program
- Interactive website and social media
- A cancer resource Lending Library including books, periodicals and DVDs
Funds raised through the 2012 Dempsey Challenge will fund the expansion of our nutrition program; meet the growing demand for massage therapy services; help us develop a distance learning initiative to make our programs available anywhere; and allow us to continue to build our resources and lending library, the most extensive collection of comprehensive cancer and integrative medicine resources in Central Maine. And as always, funds raised by Challenge participants keep all of our services available at no cost to anyone impacted by cancer.
The Dempsey Center is able to provide free services to anyone impacted by cancer thanks to funds raised via the annual Dempsey Challenge, corporate sponsors, foundations and grants, and individual donations. To learn more about how you can contribute to the Dempsey Center, please visit dempseycenter.org/ways-to-give.