Reports to: Complementary Therapy Manager
FSLA Status: Non-Exempt
Hours: 24 hours/week; some evenings and weekends
Location: South Portland, ME
Responsible for supporting the Dempsey Center mission, vision, values, and work culture.
The Oncology Massage Therapist is a Licensed Massage Therapist who provides therapeutic massage to Dempsey Center clients for the promotion of general wellness and the reduction of stress and pain. The Massage Therapist provides virtual and in-person classes and consultations.
Responsibilities and Expected Outcomes
- Develops appropriate and individualized treatment plan, based on a review of client’s health history, information from client’s health care team, and best practice in Oncology Massage Therapy.
- Updates treatment plan based on the client’s response to intervention, status, needs and reassessment.
- Demonstrates skills in commonly used massage therapy techniques including effleurage, petrissage, vibration, percussion, passive, and active stretching.
- Advises client, family and relevant team members about indications and contraindications for massage treatment and suggests alternative modes of treatment supported by current massage therapy literature/research.
- Delivers treatment in compliance with departmental policies, protocols, and per the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork and Society for Oncology Massage code of Ethics and Standards of Practice.
- Demonstrates effective listening and communication skills.
- Supports the physical, spiritual, and emotional needs of individuals living with or impacted by cancer.
- Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic, and religious/spiritual needs of clients and their families.
- Recognizes professional boundaries and scope of practice and makes appropriate referrals as needed.
- Consults with other disciplines within the Dempsey Center to improve client care.
- Communicates appropriately and clearly to members of the client’s health care team when appropriate.
- Maintains compliance with HIPAA policies and procedures.
- Participates in departmental meetings, peer review, and massage therapy in-service.
- Meets productivity standards and keeps on schedule with client treatments.
- Provides virtual and in-person consults and classes on topics such as self-massage, acupressure, and manual lymphatic drainage.
- Accepts assignments of special activities and other non-massage activities as assigned and meets agreed upon outcomes.
- Adheres to departmental infection control and safety policies.
- Meets department documentation standards.
- Stays current in the practice of Oncology Massage Therapy.
- Completion of Society for Oncology Massage approved foundational oncology massage training program.
- Demonstrates highly effective communication skills.
- Demonstrates competence in data collection and program evaluation.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to follow-through to meet organizational and client needs.
- Ability to meet job performance measures with minimal oversight and guidance.
- Highly organized and detailed oriented.
- Ability to relate to people of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to make well-reasoned decisions, both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to effectively manage a wide array of tasks, projects and responsibilities.
- Ability to use discretion in handling confidential information.
- Ability to see both the larger picture and detailed steps needed to achieve the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Ability to maintain focus on multiple projects and appropriately prioritize activities.
- Ability to express and maintain an open and confident mindset as well as a positive attitude.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at the Dempsey Center
The Dempsey Center promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. The Dempsey Center encourages applications from qualified candidates of every age, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, and veteran status.
Licensure, Registration, and Certification
- Valid Maine driver’s license is required.
- Licensure in massage therapy from the State of Maine
- Board certification by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) or eligibility for same.
- National specialty board verification in oncology massage preferred.
- Current CPR or BLS Certification.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents. Ability to effectively communicate with employees, clients, Board members, donors and potential donors, volunteers, consultants, advisors, and members of the community.
Requires intermediate or better proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 including Word, Excel and Outlook, or equivalent.
Responsibility for Confidential Matters
Works regularly with highly confidential information. Must comply with confidentiality policies and procedures. Utmost discretion and integrity are required for the job.
Responsibility for Getting Along with Others
Regularly represents the Dempsey Center and interprets its policies and practices to all types of people within and outside the organization. Assumes responsibility for harmonious relationships. Treats everyone with dignity and respect.
Receives very general guidance based on broad objectives for the job. Work is carried out in collaboration with others while maintaining alignment with organizational directives and guidelines. Independent judgment is used to achieve assigned objectives.
- Must be able to exert moderate physical effort with occasional standing, walking, reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, typing and frequently lift and carry material weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Normal office conditions such as sitting, with occasional standing, walking, reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, typing and lifting up to 10 pounds.
- Must be able to perform physical tasks including lifting objects weighing as much as 25 pounds, bending, stooping and reaching.
- Driving may be necessary to attend meetings and trainings but is not a primarily and essential job responsibility.