Reports to: Fiscal Operations Director
FSLA Status: Exempt
Hours: 40 hours per week
Location: South Portland, ME
The Volunteer Coordinator supports and advances the Dempsey Center’s mission by recruiting, on-boarding, training, and engaging Center volunteers, primarily for our South Portland Center as well as Clayton’s House in Portland. Working with the Volunteer Coordinator-Lewiston and as an integral member of the Operations Team, the Volunteer Coordinator will support the Center’s vision, values, and organizational culture by integrating the Volunteer Service Enterprise initiative into the Center’s overall organizational development strategy. This position also supervises several of the centers larger volunteer teams.
Essential Functions and Core Responsibilities
Organizational Capacity with Volunteer Resources
- Work with Dempsey Center staff to identify a wide range of volunteer needs, increasing the opportunities available to volunteers while conserving organization resources.
- Collaborate with staff by identifying and assigning volunteers with specific skills for short and long-term projects as requested.
- Recruit, interview, and onboard skilled and effective volunteers for positions that support efficient center operations and add resource capacity.
- Retain volunteers by helping to develop and implement evaluation and recognition programs for each volunteer.
Volunteer Training and Support
- Co-develop the staff & volunteer orientation training curriculum. Organize materials, secure Dempsey Center subject matter expert staff to serve as trainers and support the creation and presentation of subject specific content.
- Implement individualized training plans for new volunteers and coordinate training dates and facilities.
- Co-facilitate training modules for new staff & volunteers.
- Provide ongoing post-classroom support of training plans for trainee during the On-The-Job period to ensure position competencies are met.
- Oversee and administer volunteer relationship management system
- Identify organizational goals related to tracking of volunteer data.
- Produce reports as needed to document progress on volunteer program metrics.
- Directly oversee the South Portland Orientation Ambassador and Client Services Assistant volunteer team, and other larger volunteer groups by supporting goals and development.
- Provide support to the Maine Cancer Mentors program.
- Provide support to client resource navigation.
- Prior experience as volunteer coordinator for public or nonprofit organization. Prior experience creating and implementing volunteer programs and training.
- Knowledge of management principles and evaluation techniques related to programs that involve a team of volunteers.
- Proficiency in database management (ideally VolunteerHub or equivalent), Microsoft Office Suite, and other computer skills, as required.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain an accurate and timely volunteer record.
- High level of organization, planning and implementation skills.
- Demonstrated capability to conduct one’s self in a calm and professional demeanor when dealing with the public and/or with difficult situations.
- Highly effective communication skills (speaking, reading, writing, active listening).
- Willingness to adjust hours to accommodate the needs of the job.
- Ability to work productively in an unstructured environment with frequent interruptions.
- High level of discretion and ethical approach to the Center’s mission.
- Ability to work independently, remotely, and as part of a team.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to follow-through to meet organizational needs.
- Ability to use discretion in handling confidential information.
- Ability to see both the larger picture and detailed steps needed to achieve the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Ability to meet job performance measures with minimal oversight and and guidance.
- Ability to express and maintain an open and confident mindset as well as a positive attitude.
- Passion for Dempsey Center’s mission to make life better for people impacted by cancer.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the Dempsey Center
The Dempsey Center promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. The Dempsey Center encourages applications from qualified candidates of every age, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, and veteran status.
Licensure, Registration, and Certification
- Valid Maine Driver’s License
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents. Ability to effectively communicate with employees, clients, Board members, donors and potential donors, volunteers, consultants, advisors, and members of the community.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide into all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret graphs.
Requires intermediate or better proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook, or equivalent.
Responsibility for Confidential Matters
Works regularly with highly confidential information. Must comply with confidentiality policies and procedures. Utmost discretion and integrity are required for the job.
Responsibility for Getting Along with Others
Regularly represents the Dempsey Center and interprets its policies and practices to all types of people within and outside the organization. Assumes responsibility for harmonious relationships. Treats everyone with dignity and respect.
Receives guidance based on specific deliverables for the job. Work is carried out in collaboration with others while maintaining alignment with organizational directives and guidelines.
Responsible for direct supervision of core volunteers as well as a resource for ongoing volunteer collaboration and engagement.
The job requires some motor ability such as the handling or operation of a telephone, personal computer, copy machine, etc.; such operations are not a primary component of the job, nor is speed a basic requirement.
Required for all employees
- Background check
- Annual flu immunization
- COVID19 vaccination