Reports To: Complementary Therapies Coordinator
The Licensed Acupuncturist provides acupuncture services in a Community/Group style setting as part of the Complementary Therapies programs offered at the Dempsey Center. Position requirements include; excellent clinical acupuncture skills, knowledge of best practice approaches in acupuncture – especially acupuncture in the oncology setting, licensure in acupuncture from the State of Maine, certification by the National Certification Commission on Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM) or eligibility for same, and active professional liability insurance. Completion of additional coursework in acupuncture for the oncology patient preferred. Collaborates as a member of the Acupuncture Team for the provision of quality client care and works closely with the Complementary Therapies Coordinator. Participates in once quarterly Team meetings and identifies areas for quality and process improvement activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reviews, performs and informs procedures and policies that contribute to the efficiency, safety and quality of Community Acupuncture services at the Dempsey Center.
- Efficiently assesses client presentation, creates treatment plan, implements treatment plans with client feedback.
- Practices acupuncture comfortably in a fast paced, Community-style five chair treatment setting.
- Practices excellent customer service.
- Practices excellent session documentation that can be used by other Acupuncture Team members to inform treatment plan.
- Collaborates with Complementary Therapies Coordinator to stay current on Complementary Therapies goals, systems and processes for effective program implementation and client care.
- Assists to develop appropriate tools for client service documentation and evaluation.
- Consults with oncology medicine providers as appropriate to collaborate on providing Acupuncture services to oncology patients and promotes the Dempsey Center Complementary Therapies services as part of the continuum of patient care.
- Attends and contributes to regular meetings of Acupuncture Team practitioners to ensure high quality delivery of services.
- Keeps updated on latest research and best practices in the use of acupuncture in the cancer setting.
PROGRAM, CLINIC AND COMPENSATION:
- The model is a Community Acupuncture clinic, with treatment provided with the client in a seated, reclined position in an open, shared space.
- All clinic supplies and furnishings are provided by the Dempsey Center and include: a variety of needles, used needle biohazard receptacles, reclining chairs, blankets, rolling stool, antiseptic pads, cotton balls, rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer, client files, storage space for client files and program equipment.
- Appointment scheduling and maintenance provided by the Dempsey Center.
- The acupuncture service is offered as an appointment series of 8 sessions with a suggestion that they be completed over 8-10 weeks.
- Each clinic will be scheduled for three hours. The number of appointments per clinic will vary, but are often 5-9 per clinic, with follow-up appointments scheduled with a 15 minute intake period, and initial consults, 4th visits and 8th visits scheduled with a 30-minute intake period.
- Acupuncturists receive a stipend of $100 per clinic.
- Clinics are scheduled weekly for an afternoon/evening that fits both the practitioner’s and the Center’s schedule.
- Acupuncture treatments will be based on needling techniques. Magnets or press balls may be considered, if within program budget. Moxa, cupping, gua sha, herbal treatments and other approaches will not be considered.
- If requested by a client, the practitioner may offer clients more information about private sessions at his/her office, and should bring business cards or brochures with him/her to clinic for this purpose.
- Any additional educational programs provided by the acupuncturist will be compensated at the regular presenter rate for the Dempsey Center.
Interested applicants may contact Kathleen Wing, Complementary Therapies Coordinator at [email protected] or 795-2861 FMI.