POSITION: Volunteer Cancer Mentor
DEPARTMENT: Programs and Services
SUPERVISOR: Maine Cancer Mentor Program Coordinator
PURPOSE OF POSITION: To provide high quality emotional support to individuals dealing with a new cancer diagnosis. Cancer mentors help allay fears, talk through concerns, discuss available cancer support resources, and provide reassurance.
COMMITMENT: One year (renewable each year) | Able to provide phone and email support from personal devices; creating one’s own schedule to best meet programs participant’s needs while maintaining appropriate. boundaries.
- Has had a cancer diagnosis and is at least one year from initial diagnosis.
- Is a Maine resident
- Feels ready to provide emotional support to others
- Successfully completes pre-training steps, cancer mentor training, and fulfills ongoing training requirements
- Follows and upholds all Maine Cancer Mentor policies and guidelines
- Uses discretion and protects the confidentiality of all Dempsey Center clients.; HIPAA-specific training
- Has an active email address and access to a phone
REGULAR DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Providing emotional support to program participants
- Updating the program coordinator after initial and final contact with each match
- Behaving in an ethical and lawful manner toward program participants
- Maintaining confidentiality; keeping all information about program participants confidential, to be shared only with the program coordinator as needed
- Sustaining an open line of communication with the program coordinator
- Working with the program coordinator to provide appropriate closure or transition at the end of each match; fulfilling match debriefing requirements.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- High respect for diverse lifestyles, values, beliefs, and ways of moving through the world
- Sensitivity to the emotional highs and lows that can accompany the cancer experience
- Attitude of acceptance toward all feelings
- Empathetic and caring, open minded and dependable
- Exceptional listening skills
- Self-awareness of one’s own issues and an attitude of responsibility for one’s life (choices, feelings, relationships)
- A healthy sense of humor
CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE APPLICATION