Position Title: Reiki Volunteer
Reports to: Complementary Therapies Manager
Supervises others: No
Area: Complementary Therapies
Schedule and Hours Required: Schedule varies; approximately 3 – 4 hours/per week
Position Location: Lewiston Dempsey Center
The Reiki Volunteer offers Reiki to clients of the Dempsey Center, creating a safe and trusting environment, for the purpose of relaxation, anxiety and stress reduction, and to promote better sleep. During a session, the volunteer’s hands are lightly placed on or above the client’s fully clothed body. Reiki may be used safely before, during or after any medical intervention, and is intended as a complementary rather than alternative practice.
Skills and Experience:
• Calm, confident, friendly demeanor creating a safe environment for the client.
• Demonstrates empathy and compassion to those impacted by cancer.
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to listen attentively without judgment.
• Refrains from offering professional or personal advice outside of the Reiki Volunteer scope of work.
• Offers only Reiki to clients, as defined by the Dempsey Center, during each session.
• Comfortable in a patient care oriented environment.
• Understands and strictly adheres to guidelines of confidentiality and client privacy, both inside and outside the Dempsey Center.
• Understands and practices all aspects of client safety.
Education or Certifications:
• Must hold certifications at a Master’s Level.
• Must practice Reiki on a regular basis.
• Must attend Dempsey Center Culture Training
• Maintains professional behavior, dress and appearance at all times while volunteering
• Must use discretion and take confidentiality seriously; HIPAA-specific training will be provided.